What’s happened to when picking up a book was a socially normal thing? All you see or here these days is that it’s un-cool and boring. I can’t understand why it isn’t cool or fun, before technology came around, books were out only form of education and entertainment. Call me old fashioned, but I can’t think of anything better than picking up a book after a long day.
Has society gotten that bad, only 1 in 5 parent’s find time to read to there children? But they still find time to go out and by a 5 year old an iphone. Is it also that bad 10 to 16 year olds, only read for pleasure, because it’s in the school curriculum.
(national literacy trust, reaching out with role models, April 2009),(2013 research by Dr Alice Sullivan and Matt Brown from the institute of education)
As shocking as those figures are, they’re true. Each generation are losing touch with reading, evidently from help of the parents not reading to children at all. And this is why EBook sales have risen, It’s basic laziness, for example amazons 1 click service. All you have to do is press the button and you instantly own a EBook, without having to go to the library, or search Amazon for a paper/hardback book, or spend a hour in town looking for a book to buy, not to mention waiting for delivery. Society has become blind to how important reading is for everyone’s literacy developing skills, also how important it is for education. They even do texts books in EBook version!
Linking to the TV show the chase, the chasers intelligence has come from reading books! Why would parents want to deprive their children of the intelligence and fun they can have from reading a book?
According to the guardian, people don’t even purchase paperbacks as much as EBooks, for every 100 hard and paper back sold, 114 EBooks are downloaded. Hands down this is the worst thing that could happen for the next generation of children! Technology is taking over the brains of young children, making them lose touch with the real world, and what’s most important to them!
Parents need to read this and take note on the next few tips i’m going to give
· You need to take time on weekends and days off, to actually go buy your child a book to read from, if not with-in 20 years time, the only books you’ll see are the ones sat in a museum, because publications will have closed down and will no longer be publishing books because no one buys them!
· Give you and your child some bonding time, buy a collection of short stories and try read at least 3/4 times a week to them!
· Ditch the iphone for Christmas and buy them books!
· Try make reading fun, for example the 2015 reading challenge, and if they complete it, promise them a gift.
· Try reading yourself, make an impression on your children.
If it’s children or teenagers reading this, then here’s my tips for you!
· Don’t listen to people who say it’s un-cool, because secretly they’ll be the biggest book worm you know, and secretly they’ll read everyday.
· Try reading short books to start with, work your way up to bigger books.
· Read things you’re interested in, like young adult, or dystopian.
Like the pie chart shows, some changes need to be made, read paperback and when you need a break take on a EBook, but just because of laziness don’t rely on EBooks all the time. Give your brains a break from technology, sit somewhere quiet and drift off to another world with a book! It can be done, reading just needs the praise it used to get.